this is the top column
left column

This Week's Column

Joe Siple--former television sports reporter and anchor--shares his insight on sports-related stories.

Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Is Bonds' Injury A Coincidence?

I was shocked to read that Barry Bonds has said he might have to miss the entire '05 season. The guy is 52 home runs away from overtaking Hank Aaron as the all-time home run king. He launched 45 long balls last year, and it would have been a lot more if anyone would have pitched to him. Now he might not play? With a guy his age--who is no longer taking steroids--that could mean the end of his career.

Speaking of taking steroids, is it a coincidence that Bonds was astonishingly healthy throughout the later years of his career--in fact he put on pounds of raw muscle in his late 30's--but as soon as it becomes too dangerous for him to take steroids, he suddenly gets hurt?

Bonds said, "Right now I'm just going to try to rehab myself to get back to, I don't know, hopefully next season, hopefully the middle of the season. I don't know...I'm 40 years old, not 20, 30."

It was almost like a kid pouting. "No Jimmy, you're not allowed to have the king size candy bar. I'll buy you a regular size one." The kid replies, "No, if I can't have the big one, I don't want anything." Only here it's, "No Barry, you're not allowed to take steroids to help with your recovery." Barry's reply? "I'm 40 years old, not 20, 30."

Although I would never wish harm on anyone, there would be a certain sense of equalizing karma if Bonds' career was cut short due to this injury. In all likelihood, Bonds took steroids to enhance his performance and aid his physical recovery during a 162-game season. He then went on a tear with his power numbers and it looked like Aaron's record was all but broken. It was just a matter of time. Then, out of the blue, the steroid scandal hits. Amidst the controversy, Bonds was forced to stop taking the illegal drug. Coincidentally (maybe) he gets injured. Without the steroids his body has come to rely on, his recovery time is prolonged to the point that his career is essentially over, preventing him from breaking the record and saving us a huge asterisk debate.

It's just a theory, but it seems solid to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

right column
bottom row