this is the top column
left column

This Week's Column

Joe Siple--former television sports reporter and anchor--shares his insight on sports-related stories.

Sunday, March 20, 2005

Bracketbusters Abound

As I updated my NCAA picks after the first day of second round games I realized, just as I do every year about this time, that I'm not going to win any money. I've thrown away fifteen perfectly good dollars. These dollars could have been spent on a movie, dinner or Twins tickets. Instead, I used them to get into three separate NCAA pools, thinking at least one of them would have enough correct picks to make the Sweet 16 exciting. Now I look back and, as always, perform the post-mortem.

In previous years, I had always entered just one pool. The logic was that I could cheer hard for those teams and not be torn over whether I want a team to win or lose, depending on the pool I'm looking at. This year, I decided the freedom to cheer hard came second to a chance at some winner's cash. Hence the three pools.

The problem is that I failed to realize that the stars had aligned just so, the ancient Greek gods had devised a plan against me and fate was sure to take it's course. No matter what.

In my first pool I took Gonzaga to make it to the Final Four. Did I really think they would make it? Not really. But I had two other pools where I would pick them to lose early.

Then there was Wake Forest. Making the mistake of listening to the "experts" on ESPN.com, I decided to make Wake Forest a Final Four team on a different pool. I knew the ESPN analysts give the ACC too much credit, but didn't act on that instinct.

Finally, there was Oklahoma. The Sooners, with Longar Longar coming off the bench and giving them a little local flavor, were tough to pick against. They're in the Big 12, they had been ranked most of the season. I had seen them destroy some tough opponents. So I made the jump. It's only one of three pools anyway. OU can be in the Final Four too.

Not only did these three teams all lose, they also managed to ruin each and every one of my pools. I couldn't have clustered them all together into one pool. Then I would still have two chances. No, I had to spread them out so they could infect all three.

I think I owe an apology to these schools, their players, coaches and fans. I cursed them. As soon as I put them down as winners, it was all over for them.

So I'm sorry Gonzaga, Wake Forest and Oklahoma. Next year I'll pick against you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

right column
bottom row