this is the top column
left column

This Week's Column

Joe Siple--former television sports reporter and anchor--shares his insight on sports-related stories.

Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Cole Butler Will Be Missed

When I heard the news of Cole Butler's death, I was immediately struck with a sense of sadness. Sadness for him and the future he will never know and for his family and close friends, who never could have prepared for something like this. It also made me think back to high school and the days when I knew Cole Butler.

In the fall of 1994, a tall, skinny ninth grader was brought up to play on the Lourdes varsity basketball team. He had a crooked smile and a good-natured sense that made it impossible to consider any sort of "freshman initiation." In an instant, Cole became a teammate.

He entertained us all during the two years that I was fortunate enough to play with him; with his high flying dunks as well as witty comments always appropriately placed during practice. He had an understanding of the boundaries of discipline, but thoroughly enjoyed himself within those boundaries. When I heard of his accident, one of my first thoughts was that he had lived the life he was given to the fullest.

It has been nearly ten years since I last saw Cole. It's amazing how time tends to slip away from you. I remember his flowing stride and intense eyes like it was yesterday. Although a lot of time has passed, I still remember what kind of person Cole Butler was.

I extend my sympathies to Cole's family and close friends. I hope you understand the impact Cole had on people. Even those ten years removed from his presence.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I played with Cole and he was a great guy. The news of his death was a major shock. It is always a tragidy to such a great person, especially so young.

10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

right column
bottom row